ATA Certification Program
Practice Test for the ATA Certification Exam
Instructions for Translating the Practice Test Passage
When doing your translations keep the following in mind:
- You are encouraged to simulate the conditions of the actual certification exam by writing the translation out by hand using ink or dark pencil. All passages should be legible when photocopied. You can further approximate exam conditions by limiting yourself to 1½ hours and by using only those references you would have with you at an exam sitting.
- Use the lined paper provided. You may print out or photocopy additional sheets as needed. Do not double-space. Do not write in the margins.
- Write your practice test code number on the upper right-hand corner of each sheet of paper you use. The code number will consist of six letters and five numbers (Example: ENG-SPA-23456). Do not put your name or membership number on any of the pages of your practice test translation. This is to ensure the confidentiality of the grading process.
- You may return your test translation by email, fax, or mail. If you mail your test to ATA headquarters, you are required to include a self-addressed postage-paid ($0.65) envelope ($1.05 for larger envelopes) in which the graded test can be returned to you. Please include a separate envelope for each passage and write the practice test code number on the outside of each postage-paid envelope. Remember to include your return address on the outside of the envelope you mail to Headquarters. It is a good idea to make a photocopy of your test translation for future reference before sending it to ATA.
- Your test will be graded according to the same standards used for the certification exam.
Errors will be marked and you will be given a “Pass” or “Fail” grade. Please allow at least six to eight weeks for processing, since graders are active translators located around the country and overseas. There are no exceptions.
- Should you have questions about the practice test or the certification exam, do not hesitate to contact ATA Headquarters.